Welcome to Mauritius
Mauritius is an island nation situated in the Indian Ocean. It is located in the southeast coast of Africa and forms part of the Mascarene Islands.
It is ranked one of the top most luxurious tourist destinations in the world; think pure indulgence and sheer luxury. Referred to as the tropical paradise on earth, and rightly so; Mauritius is an island filled with unrestrained beauty, crystal warm sea waters, incredible landscape and extensive cuisine from different regions. This picturesque island caters to all the senses – sight, smell, touch and taste.
The island has an overload of activities to partake in, for pure relaxation, take a yacht cruise to one of the smaller islands of the coast line and enjoy a languid life of lazing on the powder white sandy beaches and sipping exotic drinks from glasses with a parasol or decide if you’d like to swim with the dolphins or go whale watching.
Other activities to enjoy include visiting the monuments and nature reserves for some eye boggling sights and learning about the cultural diversity of Mauritius and for more heart racing activities. The island offers sea walking, horse back riding excursions, sea kayaking, rock climbing and para-sailing. Mauritius is definitely the place to visit.
- Official nameThe Republic of Mauritius
- LocationMauritius is an island republic located in the Indian Ocean, about 2,000km oﬀ the southeast coast of the African continent. It comprises of the Island of Mauritius, Rodrigues, the twin islands of Agalega, and the archipelago of Saint Brandon.
- GovernmentParliamentary democracy
- Dialing code+230
- Climate weatherTropical to mild
- Population1,331,155 on 2,040 km²
- Official languageEnglish, French
- Other major languagesHindi, Creole
- CurrencyMauritian Rupee (MUR)
- Foreign currencies acceptedGBP (£), EUR (€), USD ($)
- Entry requirementsVisa (takes less than 7 days to process); Yellow Fever certiﬁcate is required for travelers coming from, or in airport transit for more than 12hrs in places with risk of transmission. (For more information, visit - www.tourismeilemaurice.mu).
- What to knowBest time to visit: May to December.
- Health tipsVisitors should take precautions against mosquito bites, as there have been several cases of the Chikungunya virus, which is spread by mosquitoes, although this is more common from October to May.