Welcome to Madagascar
Madagascar is an island nation situated near the Indian Ocean. It is off the coast of southeast Africa and the fourth largest island in the world. 98% of the inhabitants speak the same language called Malagasy. You will discover species of birds unique to the area and it has aboriginal rights to over 90 percent of it’s Fauna, majority of which can’t be found anywhere else, same as flora.
Where else would you find the Lemur, (a prosimian primate)?
It is the location of some spectacular mountains and deep rain forests. Madagascar is a world unto its self ecologically, which is why it is hailed by some as the eighth continent.
There is no shortage of activities In Madagascar, the National Parks is home to a remarkable number of wildlife. The white sandy beaches along the coastline ensure you will have some interesting walks and get a fill of the scenery. Kayaking, deep-sea fishing and wind surfing are some of the activities you can participate in. It is a haven for out door lovers and adventure seekers. It is a land of discovery.
- Official nameThe Republic of Madagascar
- LocationMadagascar is an island country located in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Southeast Africa.
- Dialing code+261
- Climate weatherSub tropical/hot
- Population23,201,926 on 587,041km²
- Official languageMalagasy, French
- CurrencyMalagasy Ariary (MGA)
- Foreign currencies acceptedGBP (£), EUR (€), USD ($)
- Entry requirementsVisa (takes less than 7 days to process); Yellow Fever Certiﬁcate is required only for travelers coming from a country with the risk of transmission. (For more information, visit - www.madagascar-tourisme.com)
- Health tipsMalaria is a risk throughout the year and is highest on the coast of Madagascar; visitors should take appropriate measures to avoid contracting the disease. Cases of chikungunya fever were reported in February 2010 and this disease is also transmitted by mosquitoes; precautionary measures against being bitten should be taken at all times.
- Security adviceTravelers should carry a photocopy of their passport at all times.