Welcome to Gambia
The Gambia is no doubt Africa’s smallest country, yet every year thousands of people are drawn to its beautiful beaches to bask in the warm sunshine, and enjoy exciting water sports like wind or kite surfing. The tiny West African country has a rich flora and fauna upcountry at some nature reserves. Along River Gambia, there is an endemic bird species and an impressive aquatic fauna.
The climate in Gambia is about the most agreeable of the region, coupled with a friendly and hospitable culturally diverse people, it is not hard to understand why Gambia is affectionately called ‘The Smiling Coast’ of Africa. Another major attraction to the country is its fascinating slave history, which was made prominent by the book Roots written by American author Alex Haley. The book which was made into a movie traces Haley’s ancestry to a village in the Gambia.
Destinations in Gambia
Although Banjul is the second largest city in Gambia, it is the business hub and official...
Located on McCarthy Island on the River Gambia, Janjangbureh or Janjanbureh was founded...
Juffureh is situated on the coast of the River Gambia in the Upper Niumi District and the ancient...
Kololi beach resort is possibly the heart of Gambian tourism, alongside the nearby...
- Official nameRepublic of the Gambia
- LocationGambia is located in West Africa. It is surrounded by Senegal, apart from a short strip of Atlantic coastline at its western end. It is the smallest country on mainland Africa
- GovernmentPresidential system, Republic
- Dialing code+220
- Climate weatherTropical/hot
- Population1,925,527 on 10,000 km²
- Official languageEnglish
- Other major languagesMandinka, Fula, Wolof, Jola
- CurrencyGambian Dalasi (GMD)
- Foreign currencies acceptedGBP (£), EUR (€), USD ($)
- Entry requirementsVisa (takes less than 7 days to process); Yellow Fever certiﬁcate is required only for travelers coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission but recommended for all. (For more information, visit - www.thegambia.gm)