This museum is home to a wide range of artifacts and exhibits on every aspect of the island’s history since 1815 when people started inhabiting the island permanently.
Interesting topics to discover in the museum include:
– The Island’s naval history and its relationship with the sea
– Ascension’s flora and fauna with an emphasis on green turtles
– The history of St Mary’s Church and other Island buildings
– The Island’s social history through collected artefacts
– The USA and Ascension Island
NASA – Tracking Station (including a US flag and patch from the Space Shuttle – Columbia)
– Ascension Island and the Falklands War (including a copy of the Argentine surrender document)
– History of the Island’s Letterbox walks and completed message books from various walks
– Postal history of Ascension Island
– The BBC and Ascension Island
– Eastern Telegraph Company and Cable and Wireless
– A very large collection of old and not so old photographs
You will also find a few collections of maps, historical books and other souvenirs which have been put up for sale.