Welcome to Uganda
Winston Churchill called it ‘The Pearl of Africa!’ Uganda is a relatively small East African country with ‘big’ attractions that have placed it among Africa’s top tourists’ destinations. Ranked as the second most populous landlocked country in the world after Ethiopia, Uganda boasts of the continent’s largest lake (Lake Victoria) and tallest mountain range (Virunga Mountains), and the world’s longest river (Nile).
With a rich fauna and flora, Uganda boasts of about ten national parks teeming with wildlife species, such as the tree climbing lions and the silverback mountain gorillas. In fact, half of the world’s remaining silverbacks are in Uganda. There are over 1,000 species of birds found in the lush forests and around the rivers and lakes, making the country a favorite for birdwatchers.
Apart from gorilla trekking adventures and hiking, the water body offers great opportunities for exhilarating watersports like, kayaking, boating and whitewater rafting. Besides all of these, Uganda has been ranked as one of Africa’s friendliest countries. Come to the Pearl of Africa and give yourself a treat.
Destinations in Uganda
Entebbe is a coastal East African city surrounded by the grandiose Lake Victoria.
Jinja is a fascinating tourist destination located on the shores of the great Lake Victoria...
Home to the world’s second largest freshwater inland body, the majestic Lake Victoria...
- Official nameRepublic of Uganda
- LocationUganda is a landlocked country in east Africa. It is bordered to the east by Kenya, to the north by South Sudan, to the west by the Democratic Republic of the Congo, to the southwest by Rwanda, and to the south by Tanzania.
- Dialing code+256
- Climate weatherTropical - Semi Arid
- Population35,918,915 on 236,580 km²
- Official languageEnglish
- Other major languagesLuganda, Swahili
- CurrencyUgandan Shilling (UGX)
- Foreign currencies acceptedEUR (€), USD ($), GBP (£)
- Entry requirementsVisa (takes less than 7days to process). NOTE: The East Africa Tourist Visa might be a better option (See “What to know” below); Yellow Fever certiﬁcate is only required for travelers Coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission but recommended for all. (For more information, visit- www.visituganda.com).
- What to knowBest time to visit: December to February and June to September.