Welcome to Rwanda
It is hard to type ‘Rwanda’ into your search engine without it adding the word ‘genocide’ into the search suggestions. But it is good to see that the landlocked East African nation is gradually recovering from the gruesome national tragedy of 1994, where about one million people were killed between April and July.
Described as the land of a thousand hills due to its topography, Rwanda has become one of Africa’s emergent tourists’ destinations. While the altitude keeps temperature pretty pleasant, the country is about one of the safest on the continent.
The scenic rolling hills and Green Savannah landscape form a breathtaking view, as you drive along the countryside.
Tourists have come to visit the sites and see the various memorials erected in memory of the victims of genocide, while so many others are attracted by the opportunity of embarking on what has been aptly tagged ‘the best adventure on the earth’ – Gorilla Trekking, which offers a chance to spend an hour with a gorilla family. Another unique attraction is the Kwita Izina, an annual event where newly born gorillas are given names at a public ceremony.
Destinations in Rwanda
Cyangugu is a bustling lakeside city in southwest Rwanda with immense...
Gisenyi, the capital of Rubavu District, is the fifth largest town in Rwanda.
Kigali is built in the heart of Rwanda across ridges and valleys. The capital city is...
- Official nameThe Republic of Rwanda
- LocationRwanda is located a few degrees south of the Equator. It is bordered by Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- GovernmentRepublic, Presidential, Multiparty system.
- Dialing code+250
- Climate weatherTemperate
- Population12,337,138 on 26,338 km²
- Official languageKinyarwanda, French, English, Kiswahili
- CurrencyRwandan Franc (RWF)
- Foreign currencies acceptedGBP (£), USD ($)
- Entry requirementsA valid passport is mandatory. Visas are required by some nationalities, but they can be issued on the spot at most ports of entry. Before you travel be sure to contact the nearest Rwandan embassy or consulate to obtain in the latest information on visa requirements or apply online at www.migration.gov.rw
- What to knowThe East Africa Tourist Visa will allow travel between Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda with the same multiple entry visa, however the holder of the East Africa Tourist Visa shall enter the region from the country that issued the visa.
- Best time to visitMay to October.