Welcome to Réunion Island
Reunion is a beautiful island that stands on the east of Madagascar. This significantly small island is famous for various attractions ranging from the astounding black and white sandy beaches to the emerald forests and the ancient prehistoric sites that hold a great potential for this country as a tourism destination. This country is densely populated and previously its economy was dependent majorly on agriculture, but now it has unearthed its tourism industry potential and hosts so many tourists per year due to its broad natural fascination that it offers.
Reunion stands out as the lone Indian Ocean Island with diverse landscapes that are worth spending a trip at this small island. It juts out of the Indian Ocean like a great basaltic shield. The magical scenic island is characterised by amazing mountain scopes, emerald forests, breath taking panoramas, winding roads and most importantly exclusive coastal cities which are sprinkled with soul steering sandy beaches that give that sunny feeling of lying on the sand.
Reunion is known for its erupting beasts of mountains that have been active since the 17th century contributing to the massive features that are a characteristic of most of the landscapes. Reunion lacks no fun for anyone who loves nature and outdoor fun. Hiking is among the many activities popular in this small island together with paragliding, horseback riding, rafting, climbing as well as whale watching.
There is also a compelling culture that emanates from a mix of the fascinating creole, Chinese Indian, French and African heritage. This comes with amazing vibrant cultural festivals and rich architectural treasures which mark this small Indian Ocean Island.
- Official nameRéunion Island
- LocationRéunion Island is a French island located 2,636km from Africa, in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar, about 200 kilometers southwest of Mauritius
- GovernmentOverseas Department
- Dialing code+ 262
- Climate weatherTropical
- Population840,947 on 2510 km²
- Official languageFrench
- Other major languagesRéunion Creole
- CurrencyEUR (€)
- Entry requirementsFrench & EU Nationals require ID cards. All others require a visa. Yellow Fever certiﬁcate is only required for travelers coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission. (For more information, visit - www.reunion.fr)
- Health tipsVisitors should take precautions against mosquito bites due to illnesses such as dengue fever and the chikungunya virus.
- Security adviceThe cyclone season is from December to April. The Piton de la Fournaise volcano is considered likely to erupt at some point in the near future.