Welcome to Malawi
Malawi is a landlocked southeastern country in Africa and is listed amongst the most densely populated nations in the world. It is called the warm heart of Africa and the people are known for their warmth, friendliness and engaging nature.
Malawi is home to the great River Malawi, the third largest lake in Africa, which may be why, Malawi, is purported to literally mean “Glitter of the sun across the lake”. This shimmering expanse of clear, fresh water boarded by golden beaches is a meeting point for snorkelers, divers, boaters and fishing enthusiasts from all over the world, as it boasts of an array of over 400 fish species.
Other tourist activities include visits to the wildlife reserves and to the nine National Parks where you find an exotic number of animals. It has an interesting landscape and there is definitely plenty to discover in the endearing heart of Africa.
Destinations in Malawi
Blantyre is the largest urban area in Malawi, and its conurbation with Limbe forms the commercial...
The capital of Malawi, Lilongwe is the entertainment and commerce centre...
- Official nameThe Republic of Malawi
- LocationMalawi is located in southeast Africa bordered by Zambia to the west and Tanzania to the north. Lake Malawi borders the east, while Mozambique borders the west, south and southeast
- GovernmentMultiparty democracy
- Dialing code+265
- Climate weatherSub-tropical/warm to wet
- Population17,377,468 on 118,484km²
- Official languageEnglish, Chichewa
- Other major languagesYoa, Tumbuka
- CurrencyMalawian Kwacha (MWK)
- Foreign currencies acceptedGBP (£), EUR (€), USD ($), SA (ZAR)
- Entry requirementsVisa (takes less than 7 days to process); Yellow Fever Certiﬁcate required for travelers coming from, or in airport transit for more than 12hrs in places with risk of transmission. (For more information, visit - www.visitmalawi.mw)