Welcome to Ethiopia
If there is a country on the African continent whose cultural diversity, natural beauty and rich heritage matches that of the glorious history of Egypt, it is certainly Ethiopia whose past dates back to biblical times. Formerly called Abyssinia, Ethiopia is one of the oldest countries in the world, and was never colonized. After a 5-year occupation (1936-41), she successfully repelled the Italians Fascists to remain one of the world’s oldest independent states. Ethiopia a founding member of the UN.
While there is variation caused by the topographical difference, the dominant climate is classified as tropical monsoon. Most of the major cities are at a relatively high altitude, and the country is notable for producing world and Olympic record holders, like Haile Gebrselassie, Kenenisa Bekele, Tirunesh Dibaba and Meseret Defar, in long-distance races.
Ethiopia offers tourists an exciting mélange of attractions ranging such as ancient landmarks and archeological remains like the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, castles of Gondar and the monasteries around and on the islands of Lake Tana. There are interesting cultural display such as Surma, which is a stick-fighting event, or the feeding of hyenas in the evening by the hyena-men in Harar.
Destinations in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa, the present capital of Ethiopia is a beautiful city set at the foothills of Mount Entoto...
Emperor Haile Selassie considered moving the capital from Addis Ababa to Bahir Dar...
- Official nameFederal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- LocationEthiopia is a land-locked country located in the Horn of Africa. It is bordered by Eritrea to the north and northeast, Djibouti and Somalia to the east, Sudan and South Sudan to the west, and Kenya to the south
- GovernmentFederal republic
- Dialing code+251
- Climate weatherTemperate/low
- Population96,633,458 on 2,896 km²
- Official languageAmharic
- Other major languagesEnglish, Tingrinya, Oromo
- CurrencyEthiopian Birr (ETB)
- Foreign currencies acceptedGBP (£), USD ($)
- Entry requirementsVisa (Less than 7 days to process); Yellow Fever certiﬁcate is required only for travelers coming from a country with risk of Yellow Fever transmission but recommended for all. (For more information, visit - www.tourismethiopia.gov.et)