Welcome to Ascension Island
Totalling 88 square kilometers, Ascension Island showcases lava fields, artificial forests, a NASA tracking station, and beaches crawling with sea turtles.
Ascension Island might just be a small setting in the South Atlantic, 700 miles northwest of Saint Helena but it has recorded significant importance over the years.
The real population of Ascension Island gathers the manpower and people that runs the organization of the island, and their families. Of about 1,100 dwellers of the setting, 700 are reckoned with Saint Helena, popularly recognized as “Saints”.
The inhabitants share harmony and peaceful living, creating a pleasant social atmosphere. They lead a simple and relatively comfortable life. The structures commensurate the welfare of the people transport, cleaning, dining and relaxing.
The major settlement and capital is Georgetown, the same location where the tourist information office is cited in the Obsidian Hotel. Ascension Island is not a stark island full of volcanic clinker. There is always a surprise all around. The island comprises of forty volcanoes and thirty-two sandy beaches suitable for swimming and bathing.
There is a warm tropical weather nearly throughout the year on the Island, and you can take a trip to Green Mountain if you’d like to get away from the heat. The views from the mountains are fantastic on a bright day, and there are various walks that could take you around the mountains.
The main attraction for tourists in Ascension Island is sport fishing, alongside with beaches and oceans in various coves like the Comfortless Cove and English Bay. The island also houses what is recognized to be the worst golf course in the world.
- Official nameAscension Island
- LocationAscension Island is an isolated volcanic island in the equatorial waters of the South Atlantic Ocean, around 1,600 kilometres from the coast of Africa and 2,250 kilometres from the coast of South America, which is roughly midway between the horn of South America and Africa
- GovernmentBritish Overseas Territory
- Dialing code+247
- Climate weatherTropical
- Population1,100 on 88 km²
- Official languageEnglish
- CurrencySt. Helena Pound (SHP)
- Foreign currencies acceptedUSD ($)
- Entry requirementsVisa required / Letter from Administrator / Medical Insurance. (For more information, visit - www.ascension-island.gov.ac)